"We make a living by what we do, but we make a life by what we give." --Winston Churchill
Find out why nearly 2000 community members across Vermont volunteer with us, and why many say they get back more than they give by volunteering. Positions are available in the Community, Probation, Parole and Correctional Facilities.
There are many opportunities to get involved with the Department of Corrections and help improve the community.
Probation, Parole and Community Roles:
- Casework Assistant: Assist probation and parole officers with caseload related duties.
- Education: Assist youthful offenders get their high school diplomas through one-on-one tutoring or teaching a class.
- Offender Reentry: Assist in developing a well planned transition for offenders reentering the community.
- Reparative Board Program: Be part of a community team ensuring that offenders on probation for low risk offenses make amends to their victims and repair the harm they caused the community.
- Victim Impact Panels: Help instruct a class comprised of offenders about the impacts of DUI on others. More information on victim impact panels can be found here.
- Victim Liaison: Assist victims of offenses to ensure their needs are met.
For information about volunteering at Probation, Parole, or in Community Justice please contact:
|Area of State||Contact Person||Phone Number|
Correctional Facility Roles:
- Education: Assist staff with helpign to teach small classes, do tutoring with individuals or assist staff with library functions.
- Parenting: Help teach parenting skills to parents and parents to be.
- Recreation: Help to organize events, supervise gym activities or help with teaching leisure skills.
- Religion and Spirituality: Help intruct bible study groups, do pastoral work one-to-one or help with church services.
- Substance Abuse: Lead self-help groups, or facilitate substance abuse education groups.
- Casework: Assist casework staff with casework related services.
For more information about volunteering at a Correctional facility please contact:
|Facility||Contact Person||Phone Number|
|Chittenden Regional, Burlington||Craig Genaufirstname.lastname@example.org||802-863-7356|
|Marble Valley, Rutland||John Cassarinoemail@example.com||802-747-4603|
|Northwest State, St. Albans||Kelly Manganfirstname.lastname@example.org||802-527-4346|
|Northern State, Newport||Chris Bartonemail@example.com||802-334-8928|
|Northeast Regional, St. Johnsbury||Chris Bartonfirstname.lastname@example.org||802-751-1416|
|Southern State, Springfield||Margery Reurinkemail@example.com||802-885-9831|
|Southeast State, Windsor||Margery Reurinkfirstname.lastname@example.org||802-674-1152|